Renewing your Driver License
If your driver's license is about to expire, you need to act now. Renewing your license before it's too late can save you a lot of time and money. Our staff has researched the driver's license renewal process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Continue" below to get started..
Driver's License Renewal in Alaska
How to renew your Alaska driver's license
When renewing your Driver's license in Alaska you have two options:
- Apply for an extension.
- Renew in person.
To apply for a driver's license extension in Alaska, your request must be in writing.
Steps to make sure your request meets the DMV requirements:
- Include your legal name, date of birth, and driver's license number. If you're faxing the request, you must also include your name as it appears on your credit card.
- Include your Visa or MasterCard number (if you're faxing the request) or a personalized check or money order for $5 (if you're mailing the request).
- Make sure you sign the request and, if you're faxing the request, you must also include your signature to authorize the credit card transaction.
- Include the fax number or mailing address where you can receive the extension.
- Fax the request to (907) 465-5509 or mail it to:
State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
Juneau Driver Licensing
P.O. Box 110221
Juneau, AK 99811-0221
Unless you're temporarily out of state and apply for an extension, you must apply for your Alaska renewal driver's license in person at your nearest DMV office.
To renew in person, make sure to bring the following with you:
- Have your current driver's license available; you must relinquish it to the DMV.
- Gather up proof of any changes you've made since first getting your license or your last renewal (such as a change in name).
- Be prepared to pay the fee of $20.
- Be prepared to pass another vision test (and a written test, if your license is expired).
- Be prepared to complete a Form 478, which is the same form you completed when you first applied for your license and is available at your DMV location.
- Call ahead to make an appointment or ask about hours of operation.