Renewing your Driver License
If your driver's license is about to expire, you need to act now. Renewing your license before it's too late can save you a lot of time and money. Our staff has researched the driver's license renewal process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Continue" below to get started..
Renew your driver's license in Montana
How to renew your driver's license in Montana
You will have to renew your driver's license in Montana when necessary. You can do this by heading over to any local DMV office, or if eligible you can renew online.
When it is necessary to renew your driver's license in Montana:
- Your Montana driver's license will generally expire on your birthday. The expiration year depends on your age when the expiring license was issued or last renewed:
- Driver's Age at License
- Issue or Last Renewal Validity of License
- Under 21 license expires on 21st birthday
- 21-67 license valid for 8 years (four years if last renewed by mail)
- 68-74 license expires on 75th birthday
- 75 and older license valid for 4 years
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the birthday on which it will expire. You can renew your license any time in the six months leading up to its expiration.
- Your driving privileges expire on midnight of your birthday if you do not renew. However, you will still have an additional three months to renew your license without any additional testing requirements.
To renew your driver's license in person, you must bring:
- Your expiring license or Proof of Identity if the expiring license is not available
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- Renewal fee of $40.50, payable by cash or check (credit cards not accepted). In some rural locations where licensing services are limited, a pre-paid receipt from the county treasurer's office is required instead.
You can only renew your driver's license by mail if you are a resident of the following county:
- Golden Valley
- Judith Basin
To renew by mail, you should prepare to complete 3 mail renewal application forms:
- Class D Driver License Mail Renewal Application #21-1900(B)
- Medical Evaluation for Driver License Mail Renewal Application #20-1900(B), completed by a physician
- Report of Eye Examination Application #22-1801(B), completed by an eye specialist
- Name change documentation, if required.
- A money order ($40.50 for a regular eight-year license), or a photocopy of your pre-paid county receipt, obtained from a county treasurer's office.
- A self-addressed and stamped envelope for the return of the receipt, which can be used as a temporary driver's license.
Mail all the documents to:
Motor Vehicle Division
Montana Department of Justice
303 N. Roberts
P.O. Box 201430
Helena, MT 59620-1430